Voodoo's Room

This is my room. My name is Voodoo.

My Photo
Name:
Location: D/FW, Texas

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Small Bird

Last night was, simply put, lovely. My daughter (my small bird), who is 9, lights up my entire world. I still don't know what I did to deserve such a glorious creature. I thank God Almighty for her each day.

After a boring day at work and a semi-amusing trip to the store with my hubby and my small bird I broiled some outstanding steaks with baked potatoes (fully loaded) and garlic rolls. Tasty.

After dinner was cleaned up and the Monday Night Football hit the screen, I collapsed on the couch to cheer the Steelers on. I'm a HUGE football fan....and on MNF I just pick a team....my heart and soul lies with the Washington Redskins (making me an outcast in my home of Native Texans...). I am also a Cowboys fan...having been in D/FW since 1980 how could I not be...but I was born and bred to bleed Red & Gold!

The small bird wandered in looking for something to do and I told her to go get a book and we'd read together. She picked one of my favorites from when I was a little girl...."A Pony For Linda" by C.W. Anderson. (The most amazing equine artist I've ever seen.)

So I read it to her...and then she read it to me. She is so sweet and small...she would show me the pictures and throw in a comment or two of her own (for instance, there is a page where the pony is peeking over it's stall door. In the picture is a rooster perched on the door. My bird points at the rooster and says in a very deadpan manner, "Quack." I died laughing. She knew I would) and suddenly I can't stop tickling her. After Daddy used his big-dad-voice to tell us to hush she kissed my cheek and told me, "I love you. This is my favorite thing to do."

My world screeched to a halt for a moment and I stared at her face...cheeks ruddy from laughing so hard...eyes glistening with laugh-tears....and I welled up with tears with the knowledge that this is so fleeting and that one day she'd be an adult.

I just hope I don't fail her. My beautiful small bird.

And now.... Gratuitous beauty...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Michelle Miles said...

AWW.. she is so sweet. I realized last night my son is on the verge of being a gross man. He was picking his nose with a tissue and THEN cleaned his ears with the same tissue. Ew.

PS I hate f'n SPAMMERS.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Voodoo's Room said...

I deleted it and made the secret word thing active hehe

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home